Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The name game


I love lists, but sometimes I have trouble remembering the lists I make in my head before writing them down -- including grocery lists, things to do, people to talk to, etc.

That also means I don't remember important things, like phone numbers, birthdays or when to watch the Office. (I've been getting better at the last one.)

I'm scatterbrained in general.

Say I decide to clean my house. I'll start putting clean clothes away, only to find some shoes are in the way of me getting to my closet. I'll remember there's another pair of shoes in the living room. Better put those away too. When I get to the living room, I realize there are some DVDs strewn all over the floor. Better put them away. But one of them I borrowed from Kim at work. I'll put it on the kitchen table to be sure I grab it on the way out tomorrow... What was I doing again?

So when I was trying to list all the Christmas gifts I need to purchase in the next month, I made sure not to leave out my two little cousins... Kimberly and _____.

CRAP. What the hell was my five-year-old cousin's name? Kimberly and... Kimberly and...

Not remembering reminded me of an article I read yesterday by Woody Allen in the New Yorker: Think Hard, It'll Come Back To You.

Writing this post helped me remember. But I hope it doesn't take a 15 minute blog post to help remind me about other things, like where I put my car keys.

It's Amber.

No comments: