Monday, November 10, 2008

Oh my gourd

Back from my week-long hiatus, I was able to return to my normal morning routine on the way to work.

I head into the local gas station, to the cappuccino machine with my silver mug over in hopes to tame my craving of the cinnamon nutmeg goodness.

Lo and behold! They still have my favorite flavor: Pumpkin Spice. OMNOMNOM.

Now, I've just about substituted all caffeine consumption away from coffee, and switched over to teas. Not so with flavored drinks.

And it's not just the cappuccino that kicks ass.

Think about it. With the exception of maybe pumpkin gum or pumpkin jello, pumpkin flavored foods are amazing.

Pumpkins provide delicious pumpkin seeds, which can be salted, baked and consumed in large handfuls.

My aunt ("aww-nt") even makes a mean pumpkin pie, which she brings every Thanksgiving.

Pumpkin granola bars, bread, muffins, ice cream. McDonald's pumpkin shakes. Even squash, the first cousin to pumpkin, can be delicious in raviolis, or on it's own.

Thing is, seasonal flavors kick ass. And there's nothing better than a delicious cinnamon-y, harvesty pumpkin flavor in October and November.

I can't take all the credit. My editor, Brendan, first acknowledged the deliciousness that is pumpkin-flavored foods.

Next up: mint.

That means come December I'll be enjoying candy canes, grasshoppers, and peppermint teas. I also hear they're getting a Peppermint Patty cappuccino flavor.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

When I was little pumpkin or squash was used as a punishment. I gag at the smell of squash and have been known to puke a little in my mouth when faced with having to eat pumpkin out of courtesy.

Don't know why pumpkin is so disgusting to me (i can BEARly stomach the pie version). Probably the same reason why I hate root beer flavored soda.

Gregor said...

You hate root beer? Wut.

Ric said...

I'm not sure we can be friends anymore.

Have you tried pumpkin pie with whipped cream?

Veasy said...

I just want to note that I love making chocolate chip pumpkin muffins with cream cheese frosting. Just throwing that out there.

And since I'm making pumpkin pie for t-day this year, there will be some practice pie(s) at my apartmenthold before then.

I once shared mrb's enthusiasm for pumpkin pie, but if you throw a block of cream cheese in the mix, it changes EVERYTHING.

Ric said...

I'm not against helping you make the perfect pumpkin pie by taste testing every single one you bake.

And cream cheese frosting is about the most amazing complement to anything pumpkin. Or anything edible really.