Thursday, February 19, 2009

Meet Julio

My step-dad George is a pretty unique character.

Whenever he eats fast food, he gets the kid's meal so he can save the toys and give them away for Halloween, instead of candy. He has mated and attempted to sell a litter of his and my mom's Yorkie's puppies, always buys random crap from HSN (with the help of my mom), and frequently pushes for vacations to Vegas or Mexico.

He once seriously considered buying an alpaca farm. Yeah, those.

He bought 500,000 in Iraqi Dinar -- maybe about $500 US -- to give away as Christmas presents two years ago to all the kids and family.

So last year, circa June 2008, when my mom told me George was trying to grow avocado plants from leftover pits, I didn't think much of it. Just another crazy idea.

But it worked.

He submerged three pits in separate glasses of water. They sat for two months, until finally they split open and roots formed. My mom transplanted each to their own pot.

So without further ado (or, adieu?)... allow me to introduce you to the newest member of my plant family. Meet Julio!

Julio!

Notice though, how his leaves are starting to shrivel? They grow too big and start to brown and shrink up as new leaves grow on top. Julio's getting to big for his britches.

On the market, fo' FREE!

In the next week, I plan to move Julio to a bigger, better pot. It's like moving from an overstuffed trailer to a $1.2 million estate.

"I'm gonna be disss big!"

Then, he'll be able to grow into a real boy, err, tree. Maybe he'll even bear me some fruit.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The fact that you took so many pictures of Julio just for this blog entry, is funny/weird/sad.

Veasy said...

Sweet! Maybe your avocado plant and my orange tree can get together for play dates. It would be so cool if a grafting method could work to our advantage muahahahaha.

Ric said...

I win. You called him Julio and not "plant."

Dr. Bergeron said...

I'm borderline speechless.



BUT, I doubt your avacado tree will bear fruit because it needs other alvacado trees to produce flowers etc with. Swap pollon, get it one, do wheelbarrow position etc.

What was I talking about again?

Gregor said...

"I'm gonna be disss big!"

I picture Julio as being Colombian, for some reason.