Wednesday, February 4, 2009

All you can eat?!

Disclaimer: I haven't read Chelle's post yet -- if she has one up -- in case it's about the same thing.

Since filing our taxes last week and realizing we'd be bumped to the next tax bracket with the $$$ from our returns, Chelle and I decided we could afford the luxury of eating out one day this week for lunch. What better place to spend $6.50 than Fort's famous China Buffet.

So I've compiled a list of pros and cons for AYCE dining here. Without further ado...

PRO: Duh. All you can eat.
Some might consider this a con, but as a lover of all food, everywhere, I disagree. You get the choice of anything on the menu -- and as much as you want. I usually start with a salad to make myself feel good. Then, I head for the main course with rice, teriyaki chicken, steamed broccoli, eggrolls. Finished up by a full plate of crab rangoon. Which are no doubt the worst thing up there for you.

CON: Herds.
Have you ever been to Golden Corral? It's the largest buffet-style restaurant I've ever eaten at. ONCE. It's the equivalent of rounding up 10's of 100's of obese Americans, forcing them to stand single file, waiting to eat out of a trough. We hit upCB during the lunch rush, but it wasn't that terrible.

PRO: Free drinks.
Free hot tea. Soda if you like.

CON: Sanitation.
...or lack thereof? (Again, CB isn't as bad as other places.)
Imagine how many indecisive eaters find a food, scoop it to their plate, then decide it's a no-go. Another example: I opted for a full plate of crab rangoon for dessert, instead of ice cream. Why? Because the ice cream spoon sits in a metal bowl of cloudy, tepid water for self-service scooping. Why don't we all just lick the fucking thing instead?

PRO: It's cheap.
For a sit-down meal, and personal waitstaff attention, it doesn't get much better.

PRO: FRANCH dressing.
Sometimes foreign people misspell things on accident. Exhibit A -- French dressing. In honor, I decided to use french and ranch to create their crazy blend. (Have a nice fright!)

CON: Bathrooms.
Circa June 2007, I couldn't wait until getting back to work before relieving myself. That was the first and only time I entered their bathrooms. I'm sure there have been coat hanger abortions and knife fights in there. At the same time.

PRO: Other than that... Appearance.
The rest of the place, besides the WC and the ice cream scoops, are pretty clean at CB. They're really good about refilling, and making sure the food looks presentable.

CON: The people.
Fort's finest choose buffets as a means to cover all five food groups in one meal. Or are there six now?

PRO: Fortune cookies!
You have to crack them open and eat them first, before reading your fortune.
"You will be fortunate in everything you put your hands on." ...in bed.

I'd give this visit a B+. For less than $10, we made a pretty awesome decision.

2 comments:

Veasy said...

LOL - Have a nice fright! Priceress.

Epic Gecko said...

Dericious.

Well, not for me, generally, but for someone.