Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Penny pinching


In an effort to save money, I've discovered some ways to stave off the spending demons.

Over the last six weeks, I've stuck to my guns (for the most part), and held back on wasting away my entire paycheck on frivolous crap. After about week four I started to get antsy, and thought my impulses might get the best of me. But I'm slowing finding ways to keep a balance between living like a homeless person and Kim Kardashian.

(Blatant props to Gregor for the majority of these tricks. If not for suggesting, at least for guiding me to come up with these frugal ideas.)

1. Look for sales.
Simple enough, right?
When I go grocery shopping, I now make it a point to write lists before I go. I don't always get a chance to check out the ads before heading to the store, but I'll still make sure to include the necessities (eggs, milk, bananas, etc.). Everyone needs fruits and veggies, but why not stock up on the cheaper stuff? 5-lb. bag of grapefruit one week, Golden Delicious apples the next. Variety is the spice of life anyway. Along with that, I make sure to cover the other basic food groups. Protein? cottage cheese and peaches, or tuna and crackers. Dairy? Yogurt or string cheese. But it's whatever I find on sale.

2. Take lunch to work.
If you eat fast food 3x a week, that can add up to $15 by Friday. I could buy a loaf of bread, sammich meat, lettuce, string cheese and a bag of apples for less than that, and it'll feed me the whole week. Plus, it's better for you.

3. Use what you've got.
I have a ton of shit in my pantry. I mean, some of that stuff expired in June 2008 (Hello, sugar-free caramel ice cream topping. WTF was I thinking). Why not make some crazy concoctions. I have tons of spices, flour, mac n' cheese, granola bars, oatmeal. Everything. Instead of buying more crap, why not eat what I've got? With all these ingredients, I'm also starting to expand my cooking horizons. For instance, I used up the week-old mushrooms in my fridge by adding olive oil, balsamic, garlic powder and thyme, then boiled some noodles. Voila.
On the list this week? Chad's PB cookies. I have every single ingredient in my cupboard already.

4. Shop consciously.
I've taken a few trips to clothing stores since Jan. 1; but I've done better than before. Instead of buying something just because it's on sale, I'll think "Do I really need that?" and "How many times will I wear it?" I'm a jeans and T-shirt kinda gal, so I'll generally go for the basics anyway. Places like TJMaxx (think the Big Lots equivalent to Wal-Mart) offer everything from suits and ties for dudes, to Express jeans and name-brand purses for ladies, all liquidated or discontinued from top-of-the-line stores. For at least half the price. Also check out Goodwill or other thrift stores. Besides some clothing, I've found crock pots and dishes, plus decorations for my apartment.
Also, starting in the next couple of months, people are going to start spring cleaning. You know what that means? Rummage SALES.

5. Take what you can fo' free.
Here's one example from today. I keep a filing cabinet full of important papers (insurance, bank statements, etc.) that needed expanding. I bought a new cabinet this weekend -- but why buy more folders and tags? Instead, I headed for my office's paper graveyard. Tons of magazines throw out and reorganize their info all the time, so they're constantly getting rid of hanging folders, manila folders, binders, etc. Now I'm just giving them a new home.

Also, I've been looking to replace my refreezable ice packets for my lunch since mine started leaking. On my way back to my cube, I came across a table full of free stuff. People were trying to get rid of vases and Tupperware containers. There I found some still-packaged Rubbermaid Blue-Ice re-freezable packets. Hot damn!


6. Turn off the lights.
This'll be a tough one when the time comes. Right now, I don't pay for heat or electricity. Or water. Hell, the only bill I have besides my chintzy cable is rent. Once I move out of my lavish apartment, I'll have to start being more conscientious about my consumption. For now though, I'll let that be my one luxury.

That's what I've learned so far. Got any other tips?

8 comments:

Gregor said...

As the premiere tightwad of our generation I really find this post as music to my ears. Two little things:

I bring my own snacks to work instead of hitting up the vending machine. It's a pretty simple choice: I can either buy a granola bar from there for $0.75, or just bring my own box of 8 that I purchased for $2.05.

Also, just because something is on sale doesn't mean it's the best deal. I buy generic brand food as often as I can, and it's almost always cheaper than name brand. The labels that show the prices also show the price per ounce.

I LOVE saving money!

Sisu said...

I have been asking, begging you to turn off the lights for years. Really Years! It shouldn't matter who is paying the bill. Leaving an unnecessary light on wastes energy--
It's a great habit to get into.
Unless you are Matthew and you "flip-them-off".

BLaZE said...

Piggy backing of what number 4 and Greg said:

It's actually good that in number 1 you don't check the ads too much. Victoria and I write a list usually, and try to stick to it, and go shopping on a full stomach. Last week we took out the ads and looked through them. I noticed victoria started trying to add items simply because they were a deal. Oh, that bacon is 50% off! Well, bacon wasn't on our list, so don't get it. Ads are a very smart, very sneaky way the Man tries to get you to buy more (and spend more) thinking you are saving.

Dr. Bergeron said...

I've been doing the
"hit up sale" grocery shopping thing since about july last year. Publix always has sales of 2 for 1. There's been times when i've gone to the store and spent 40 dollars and saved 38 dollars. No joke. But I consider a single box of stuffing a meal.

Wow i really do live like a homeless guy....

Also money: eating other peoples leftovers at work.

BLaZE said...

As far as food goes, I've learned that keeping a well stocked pantry(like tomatoes, beans, chicken stock, pasta) is the key to a cheap and well balanced living, not to mention you can make dinner on the fly.

Also, freezing fresh herbs, lemon/lime juice and leftover sauces comes in hand later since those items can get expensive and spoil fast in the fridge. I started an herb garden last summer for pesto and I froze what was left in ice trays - it's lasted all winter.

And Blaze is totally lying...the bacon was completly his idea!

Gregor said...

Blaze has apparently developed a personality disorder.

Ric said...

As long as he seeks professional help; I have some recommendations. CUZ I'M CRAZIES TOO.

Ric said...

But really ... Blaze #2, I also learned that freezing almost anything is possible. Extra leftovers like beef stew or taco meat, shredded cheese or ground meat if it's on sale, etc. Just put it in the fridge a day before you want to eat it to thaw.

I'll try out freezing sauces and herbs though. That's a good idea!