Monday, February 9, 2009

Tender tootsies

This weekend, I took the extra step in preparing for my future as a mediocre marathon runner. I bought running shoes.

A work colleague who runs marathons frequently suggested stopping at a custom shoe-fitting store for runners. He buys his shoes at "Fleet Feet" in Madison. Gregor and I headed to the Brookfield location out of convenience, so they could evaluate my feet and figure out how to stop the shin splints and prevent unnecessary injury while I train.


I sat down, and took off my shoes. My main concern was not knowing if the shoes I tried on would do the trick. I didn't want to drop part of my tax refund on something I could pick up at Foot Locker for half the price.

Rusty, part-owner of Fleet Feet, first measured my feet to determine my shoe size. I already knew my left foot was a half size bigger, at a size 10. He also determined that my feet were extremely flat, and that my arches must have fallen years ago.

And I have bunions. Now, that sounds more disgusting than it really is. I just don't like the word. It's like saying moist. Ugh.

Anyway, they are a joint deformity between the foot and the big toe, where the joint gets bigger and can push the toes together.

It's part what kind of shoes I wear. But, I can blame my parent's genes. He said however my mom's feet look, that's probably how mine will end up. Yikes. Except, with proper footwear, it shouldn't get as bad.

After that, I walked across the store and Rusty determined I pronate when I walk. I don't really know what that means. He showed me per a fake foot model how my bones move when I'm walking, and subsequently, running. He found a couple pair of shoes to try on. I needed a separate pad with extra arch support too.

Trying on the second pair, I then went outside to test and run with the Saucony's and realized that my feet did feel better. It felt like the shoes were an extension of my foot, and I could tell my heels and arches had more support.


I also bought some Technical socks, and The Stick to use before and after runs. It massages your legs and helps break up lactic acid build-up in your muscles. Plus it feels effing amazing, and already helped get knots out of my calves.

I still have to break in the shoes, and the extra foot pads, but I'm on the right track.

That leaves me one step closer to my goal set for the Green Bay half marathon on May 17. I'm still raising money too. Even if you donate $5, it'll help me reach and exceed my goal of $300. Plus, the money goes to support my hometown's charities (Boys & Girls Club, Salvation Army and Cerebral Palsy Inc.). To give, click here. I bet you can probably go without Subway for lunch one day this week.

5 comments:

Shawn Connelly said...

That's bomb you're doing the GB marathon.... see you there!

Dr. Bergeron said...

I used to have an AIM screen-name "Moist Happenings".


how awesome is that?

BLaZE said...

I got 2 decent blisters on each of my big toes since I started training. Not on the bottom though, on the top outside where they would click together if you kicked yourself. Which says that its definitely the shoes, not that I mind, these have had their day and it is time for new ones. I was going to get some this week.

Kim Schmidt said...

Oooh I've been wanting to go the Fleet Feet!

Sisu said...

Your mother's feet do not look like her mother's feet, so yours will probably not look like hers. Get it.