Thursday, December 4, 2008

Driving my ice box


Judging by yesterday's blog, you probably think I'm content, sitting in holiday bliss with a hot cup of nog and some Manheim Steamroller on the radio.

Not so ... because it's FUCKING cold outside.

I headed out to my car around 5:30 this morning to head to the gym. I made sure to put on a hat and gloves, because I heard the temperature was dropping overnight.

I sat in my car as it warmed up. The hat and gloves were NOT enough. My fingers froze, my nose ran, my body shivered...

I looked at my car clock and thermometer. 9 degrees. NINE degrees?

Now, I can handle the mid-30s. I'll even deal with a meager 25 degrees, on occasion. But 9?

That's a single digit. I can count that number on my fingers. I thought, "There are more holy commandments than the weather is warm right now. WTF am I doing outside?"

On top of that, my windshield was completely iced over. I wasn't about to wait 15 more minutes, cutting my workout down to a measly 45. So what do I do? Crank the heat, turn on the defrost and GO.

I drove halfway there with my head ducked and aligned with the middle console, so I could peak out the center of the windshield, where the ice melted.

I made it and didn't die.

And it's only December.

5 comments:

BLaZE said...

NOT SAFE!!!1

Unknown said...

I used to to that (drive like a thug hunched over towards the middle) back in high school during the winter cuz of the fucking ice inside my windshield... i tried boiling water and pouring it on the windshield but as chemistry would have it... that water would just freeze almost on contact making the shit even worse... goddamn subzero weather...

Ric said...

BAHAHA. You poured water on your car when it was below 32 degrees.

And I KNOW ... I'm gonna have to start going outside to warm up my car. dammit.

BLaZE said...

That or get a garage.


Or the most ultimate christmas gift of 2005, electronic car starters! or was that 2006? either way, seems like everyone in my family got those one year. Woohooo!

Ric said...

Well... a garage might be hard to come by, seeing as I live in a shithole.

I did buy one of those car starters, but I returned it becauseit wasn't as easy to install as the marketing suggested; I think I needed to get it professionally done, or pick up some additional part. Or something. Either way, I'm crushing both your ideas.