Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Achoo!


This last weekend I went home to visit my family and friends over Thanksgiving.

Wednesday night Michelle and I picked up a variety six-pack of microbrews (BTW, try Breckenridge Amber Ale. Amazing.) and headed over to our friend, Amanda's, apartment to catch up and watch the Obama interview with Barbara Wa-wa.

Amanda takes care of two cats: Milly and Marty. Both are adorable, and have their own unique personalities. I knew my boundaries though -- because I had a cat in high school. After going away to college, every time I'd come home to visit, my eyes started watering and my head would get congested. The onset of becoming allergic to cats.

So at Amanda's, I kept my distance. I played with Marty for a little while, but gave up because after about a half hour, I noticed a tickle in the back of my throat and my eyes started itching. Enough of that.

Another hour went by and my immune system was in full-fledged attack mode. I started sneezing. My nose ran. My eyes watered. Part of it must've been the fact that there were two felines.

I hate taking medication, so I declined when Amanda offered.

Then on Friday, we headed back over to the apartment before going out to the bar. We ended up staying there about two hours waiting for some friends, and the itching, watering, sneezing started again. AGGH.

It's crossed my mind to find a pet for my apartment. Because I travel so much for work, I initially thought a cat would make the most sense. They're generally more independent and seem to be able to take care of themselves. Plus, I don't have to take them out to use the bathroom, or feed them as much.

But, I'm a dog person.

Number one: The thought of having a box full of festering crap in my house doesn't really appeal to me.
Number two: Cats can be bitchy and mean.
Number three? Cats make me SICK.

5 comments:

BLaZE said...

Not that I am actually trying to change your mind. But they have cat litter boxes you put in/on toilets. Then when the cat is trained, you just take away the box and he uses the toity!

lol, I had a cat for like 5 years. His name was Cow! This is why: http://static.flickr.com/4/5537690_2e2c34cc92_o.jpg

Unknown said...

"Cats have a 'fuck you' attitude while dogs are too eager to please"
-Quote from some dude/dudette i can't recall.

I'll probably have both when I grow up and by grow up I mean move away from Greg.

Ric said...

Funny... my cat looked like a cow, but she was named Mickey.

I've heard of those toilet litter boxes. My neighbor actually tried to train her cat to use one, but after she started cutting out the bottom over the toilet, the cat started using the bathroom on her living room rug. She nixed it.

I'm getting a dog as soon as I can afford it. We always had a dog when I was growing up; they're like part of the family.

BLaZE said...

Yeah, I never actually had that toilet box, or maybe we did and it didn't work. Either way, I grew up with both pets, and the cat was more of a hellstorm when it came to fucking up our lives. But that wouldn't stop me from getting the same setup when I own a home.

Amanda said...

aw, but the kitties love you!