Thursday, January 29, 2009

Dealing with Uncle Sam

I'm sure almost everyone has received their necessary tax forms over the last month. That includes W-2s, 1099-DIVs, 1099-INTs and 1098 something-or-others for mortgages. Not to mention student loan forms for debt, or forms if you contribute to your HSA, 401k and IRAs after Jan. 1.

Now you have until April 15 to gather all those forms, fill out the information, and file your taxes. Ugh.

I already filed my taxes; which was motivated by the fact that I knew I was getting a return for both state and federal. This year, I only had two forms: one W-2 and one 1099-DIV. That's IT. Total time I'll never get back: 45 minutes. But I'm DONE!

I have three reasons why I can appreciate my situation as an adult come tax season:

#1.) My mom taught me how to file my taxes.
Since I started getting W-2s, she's been there to help me figure out how to fill out the proper paperwork for state and federal taxes. Up until about three years ago, she filed everything by hand. (It's a bitch, don't do it.) I opted to file my taxes online. She insisted I read every page and all the directions, to make sure I didn't skip anything.

#2.) I've been filing my own taxes since I was 18 years old.
I've been employed since the age of 14, but because I didn't work that much for most of middle school and high school, the government kept their hands off most of my money. You're only required to file a tax return if you make more than a certain amount. Even if you don't meet that requirement, you can still opt to file if you think you'll get money back. Or, if you want to pay because they didn't take out enough. But that'd be damn foolish.

#3.) I worked at a bank for more than two years.
A call center to be more exact, and it was bitch come tax season. From mid-January until the end of April, people would call about forms they received, how much interest they earned, and how to file taxes. We couldn't help with the last one -- you're supposed to talk to a tax advisor. But, we had hours of training on what forms go with what accounts, and when people receive certain tax forms for savings accounts, HSAs, 401Ks, IRAs and CDs, or some loans.

Still have to file? Here are a few tips:

-Make sure you have ALL of the proper forms and information before getting started. That means W-2s, even from PT jobs (Did you work for a lawn service for two months last summer? Get paid for some after-school program with kids?); interest earned on stock dividends and savings accounts (But only if it's more than 10.00); and student loan forms. You'll need your SSN, and bank account and routing number too, if you opt for direct deposit.

-If you're getting a refund, go with direct deposit. You'll get your money in about 7-10 days, instead of 4-6 weeks.

-Most people don't have to worry about itemizing deductions on your return. That'll usually happen if you've collected a lot of unemployment over the year, own a house or make a shit-ton of money. But either way, many filing programs can help you with both.

-You have to file your federal taxes before your state.

-The most important: File online -- FOR FREE.
No matter what they say, most people don't have to pay to have your taxes done. If you made less than $56,000 in 2007, even better.
Go to irs.gov and answer some questions about your financial status. The site then automatically redirects you to one of many free tax filing service sites most suitable for you. I've been using H&R Block for the last three years.

-Do NOT pay an additional charge on the federal site you use, to file your state taxes. You can pay $30 for convenience, or spend another 20 minutes filing on a separate site. Just google your state and "free file" or "e-z file". Wisconsinites can go to www.revenue.wi.gov.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm gonna need help :D

Ric said...

That can probably be arranged.

I expect beer and drugs as compensation.

BLaZE said...

^----- When you gunna kick that meth addiction?

Unknown said...

When I stop selling it to her probably.

Oh, by the way Ric, thanks for this post. You made filing much easier for me. I can never remember which to file first, and on top of that you gave me the link I needed for State which was awesome. Even though I think the site I found randomly last year was better, this was more convenient. Muchas gracias.

Ric said...

No problemo.

I think it's the same site address for the state file as last year, they just added some Acrobat 9.0 BS instead of filling out fields right on the website.