Thursday, October 23, 2008

Animal farm

I have inadvertently become the cat (and dog) lady. The good news is, the pets don't have to stay in my house.

At the beginning of the week, I agreed to cat-sit for my neighbor, Lisa, while she's traveling to Louisville for work. Really, it involves going into her apartment, feeding and giving water to Maybelline and petting her for approximately three minutes.

I've helped out before, and it's not tough.


But then my friend Em asked if I could let out their pug, Lil Dutchie, today. I've never met the dog, and she's just a puppy. Plus, dogs are usually a little more work -- with a wider range of potential disasters (e.g. it running away). Apparently, she's pretty well-behaved, and Em left out a leash in case.

The biggest issue? Remembering that I actually have to take care of them. So, I've put the tasks on my to-do list, added it to my Outlook calendar, and my phone. I should be good.

It reminds me that I've wanted my own dog for awhile (like a chocolate lab or a beagle.)

My family always had pets growing up, so I've been around them my whole life.

But for all practical purposes, that's not possible right now. I don't have much space, I live upstairs, and I'm at my apartment maybe an hour a day, usually after 8 PM... plus, I'm usually gone on weekends. Plus, I travel about once a month for work.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Marley!

Ric said...

who's Marley?

Unknown said...

Marley the dog

Amanda said...

You should get two kittens...they don't need you to be around too much. :o)

Ric said...

Who's dog is named Marley?

Ric said...

I can't handle cats anymore... :( I've developed some sort of allergy.

Plus, they shit in your house, so unless I can train them to hover over the toilet and flush for themselves, I'll probably avoid that all together.