Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The heat is on (on the street)

(I had to watch Glenn Frey's video because this song's been in my head all day.)

I live in a house built somewhere between 1900 and 1930. I have wood floors, a farmer sink in the kitchen, a claw foot tub in the bathroom and glass windows above the doorways between rooms.

I also have steam pipe radiators for heat, and the neighbor lady has complete control of when they get turned on.

So, for the past two weeks, when temperatures have dipped well below comfort levels for any normal human beings sleeping conditions, I've been stuck with three blankets, wearing long-sleeved shirts and sweatpants to bed. I cocoon.

Granted, the single-paned windows account for a lack of insulation and obvious drafts (I don't pay for heat or electric, so NBD), but I'd at least like some control of when I can warm myself up.

Plus, it's a bitch getting out of bed in the morning once my body heat warmed up all the blankets, and I can almost see my breath when I try to get out from under the covers.

Once the initial switch is turned on (thanks neighbor lady), I have some control over how much heat comes out of those pipes... but I could probably open a window if it came to that.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like the old White House (when I used to live with Nate, Tyler, Finch, Jensen and Cole).

You could see your breath when getting up. It's awesome.

Have greg come 'warm you up' or come over more often. You'll be warmer either way

Amanda said...

I feel your pain. When I lived in that old house in college, I could see my breath as well. Problem was my roomie didn't have drafty rooms like I did, my room must of been older or the original part of the house, and so when I would turn up the heat, they would complain. I told them to crack their windows since I couldn't do anything about getting warmer w/out turning up the heat. I still lost that war. UGH!

Ric said...

I think this post came prematurely, because it's still cold as a MF in my house.