Thursday, October 9, 2008

Cube farms


I feel like I escaped from the range, and I got to roam free... but then they caught me again and stuck me back in this cel--, er, cubicle.

I went to San Diego to cover a mass transit show for another magazine at work this week.

Traveling for work can be draining. It's exhausting waking up at 6 AM, running around a trade show, setting up interviews, taking pictures and writing stories. After the show floor closes, ad reps usually want to take out their clients, and request editorial to tag along for dinner and sometimes drinks, causing me to turn in at 11 PM, midnight,1 AM... whenever you can tactfully exit or leave unnoticed. Day after day for a week.

But, there are perks too.

We stayed at the Omni Hotel in DT SD, across the street from Petco Park and the Hard Rock Hotel. I ate seafood every night. I had a $30 Middleton Rare at a real Irish pub. I got a free beer stein. I saw Ed Begley Jr. talk about riding a bus for 45 minutes.

AND, the best part -- I was out of the office.

I like the diversity at shows. You're always moving, always doing something. I sleep for three days straight when I get back, from exhaustion... but it beats the everyday monotony of sitting in an office.

Now I'm back at my desk trying to avoid having my eyes gloss over while I stare at a computer screen, sorting through 300 emails, tuning out obnoxious phone conversations and listening to soft rock radio from MUZAK.

eep... help!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You can't be helped. This is our destiny to be cultivated like potatoes in perfectly aligned rows.

Unknown said...

And furries are people who like to dress up in animal customs most of the time. Specially for sex.

Unknown said...

Here is the Wikipedia entry (SFW):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom

From the entry:

Differing approaches to sexuality have been a source of controversy and conflict in furry fandom.[citation needed] Examples of sexual aspects within furry fandom include erotic art and furry-themed cybersex.[45][46] The term "yiff" is most commonly used to indicate sexual activity or sexual material within the fandom—this applies to sexual activity and interaction within the subculture whether online (in the form of cybersex) or offline.[47][48] Many members of the furry community feel that the overly sexual component gives the rest of them a bad name, and may use the derogatory term "furvert" to describe such people. (See the following section for more details.)

The majority of furries report a non-judgmental attitude towards certain aspects of sexuality and a high tolerance for variety in sexual orientation and activity. 19-25% of the fandom members report homosexuality, 37-48% bisexuality, and 3-8% other forms of alternative sexual relationships. About 2% state an interest in zoophilia, and less than 1% an interest in plushophilia.[49][7] About half of the furry fans are estimated to be in a relationship, with 76% of those having a relationship with another furry.[49][7]

Ric said...

umm, probably the latter.

Do they ever take off their costumes? Or furry suits.