Thursday, September 4, 2008

A quick fix


I'm a firm believer in not taking medication unless it's absolutely necessary. Headache? Drink some water and eat a banana. Stomach ache? tea or hot chocolate. Hangover? A 1/2-lb. cheeseburger, followed by daylong napping.

But last night, I felt the onset of something terrible: allergies.

This affliction started the spring of eighth grade. No big deal -- some itchy eyes, stuffy nose, etc. I started taking Benadryl, Sudafed and Claritin to deal with the symptoms. But every time I'd miss a day or two of pills, the symptoms came back twice as harsh.

Well into H.S., I realized my immune system was slowly giving up. I read somewhere that every time you take artificial drugs, your body doesn't work as hard to fend for itself.

I decided to take my allergy meds (or any other medication, for that matter) only if it's absolutely necessary.

Which brings me to this morning.

I woke up involuntarily rubbing my eyes because they itched something fierce. I kept sneezing. My nose was running and stuffed at the same time (How in the HELL is that possible). I had a perpetual tickle in my throat. I couldn't even drink coffee for breakfast it sounded so unappealing; I had to resort to black tea.

I didn't even take anything in Tacoma when I was around Marla's cat. But this... this was much worse.

So, I gave in. For the first time in two years, I took a Claritin. Now I feel like a relapsing drug addict.

But maybe one more wouldn't hurt...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

smoke some weed. it'll make all your problems go away