Monday, July 14, 2008

Ill health effects


Perusing my weekly subscription to TIME magazine last week, I come to find out that we're in the midst of the three-week, high-endurance test of athleticism, the Tour de France.

The 21-stage race runs July 5-27, with 169 riders traveling 3,653.6 km, or about 2,270 miles.

The biggest problem with today's cyclists is whether or not they take any performance-enhancing drugs. Otherwise, their in shape and ridiculously healthy. Not so when the event kicked off.

"Between stages, teams feasted on banquets and champagne; before climbs, they fortified with cigarettes."

I'd fit right in with the 1903 crew. They would be gluttonous and get trashed the night before. Not to mention, smoke while riding because they thought it would improve their respitory functions.

Now, I try to exercise at least four times a week. I also attempt to eat well; sans social drinking and eating on weekends. Oops. But when I drink, I have the habit of smoking cigarettes. Not healthy.

Well, I started off on the left foot this morning. (South paw. OH, terrible joke.) I woke up at 5:30 AM to work out with my neighbor. Then I made an omelet for breakfast and packed a lunch with strawberries, yogurt and a salad.

I think my biggest downfall is lack of motivation. I need instant gratification, instead of waiting a day or two -- or a week, or months -- to feel the postive effects. So I'm going to be healthier. Now.

Any suggestions on how?

No comments: