Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Restroom woes

I walked down to the bathroom today to do my business, expecting a nice 5-10 minute hiatus from the cubicle. I enter, look around and see the bathroom's empty. I go for the last stall, no one around. Perfect.

All of a sudden, I hear someone enter. Walking briskly, six other stalls before her -- she stops, slams and latches the door... RIGHT NEXT TO ME.

WTF.

I think, the public bathroom happens to be one of the more private places to retreat at work. Although there's only a 1/2-inch thick metal wall between me and the rest of the world, I'd like to think I'm all alone when nature calls. So don't sit next to me.

When guys go to the bathroom, do they instinctively gravitate toward the lone man taking a leak, while surrounded by three urinals on either side?

Why, then, would someone feel so inclined to pee right next to me?

4 comments:

Cerca Trova said...

Were you wearing nice shoes? Perhaps she wanted to sit next to you so she could peep at them under the wall...just an idea.

But yes, woe be the man who pees next to another guy when he has the opportunity to leave a one-urinal space. It's widely regarded as poor bathroom etiquette.

Kim Schmidt said...

Interesting...I always seek out the stale that has no one next to it. I only go right next to someone if it's the only option. I'm pretty sure people in our office just plain have no bathroom etiquette though.

Dr. Bergeron said...

You DO live in Ft. Atkinson.

Rob said...

Ummm, one problem with that story. Girl's don't go number two. Gross.........