Thursday, July 17, 2008

Snail mail

It costs 42 cents for the USPS to deliver a letter for you. So today I decided to send a card to my friend Amanda. It's not even her birthday.

Since becoming almost completely dependent on the Internet for paying bills, shopping, email, IMs, socializing and almost all other human interaction, I've realized that technology hinders peoples' ability to be sincere -- sans emoticons ;oD

What happened to sending a genuine, poor punctuation-laden, misspelled paper letter?

I remember when I only used to send snail mail.

Until I was 12 years old, my mom sent my brother and I up to Sturgeon Bay every summer to stay in a cottage by the lake with my grandparents. I dreaded it, hated it, loathed it; and despised my mom for sending us there. So isolated, so quiet, so peaceful. How terrible. All summer.

I filled a hot pink pencil box with stickers, pens, postcards, stationery and stamps. Twice a week, I'd sit at the kitchen table and write out letters to my friends, my mom and my dad, my other grandma. I'd mention canoing under a 5 ft. carp, why Matthias was annoying the hell out of me, my newly constructed fort in the woods, or how grandpa wouldn't let us leave the table until we finished our sauerkraut.

I would write out every address and lick every stamp. I'd even write messages on the back of the envelope, after I sealed it. (In case I forgot to mention something.)

I loved writing letters. But more than sending them, I loved getting them. Biking up to the mailbox between 1-3 PM was the highlight of my weekdays.

Funny, the chime of my inbox doesn't really have the same effect...

4 comments:

Gregor said...

I bought pack of 18 stamps a few weeks back so that I could mail out an insurance form (18 was the least number of stamps I could buy here). So now I need 17 different peoples addresses to mail them a letter.

Dr. Bergeron said...

540 NE Spanish Court
Boca Raton FL, 33432

Tits of GTFO.

you too greg.

Ric said...

11 S. 4th St E, Apt. 1
Fort Atkinson, WI 53538

Send me monies.

Unknown said...

I hate most snail mail, only because I hate most people's handwriting now. It's not perfect and uniform like typing. We should create a program that gives you a notepad and a pen, and when you scribble on it, it writes a handwritten email. Then you can send all of the chicken scratch you want without postage. Problem solved!