Friday, July 18, 2008

Word games

I read Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day on a daily basis. It helps expand my lexicon; and I like learning.

Today's word:

bogart (BOH-gart) v.
1. to bully, intimidate
2. to use or consume without sharing


Here are some fun words you should incorporate into your vocabulary today.

bezonian (bye-ZOH-knee-uhn) n.
an indignant rascal; a scoundrel.

"That bezonian didn't even pay up for his share of the bill."

bibliobibuli (bib-leo-bib-u-lee) n.
those who read too much.

ecdysiast (ek-dizzy-ast) n.
a stripper; stripteaser

katzenjammer (kat-zin-jam-err) n.
1. a hangover
2. distressed
3. a loud, discordant noise

mordant (more-dunt) adj.
biting and caustic in thought; bitingly sarcastic

pulchritude (pull-kra-tude) n.
attractiveness

(my brother really likes this word, for some reason.)

squiffed (sk-wiffed) n.
intoxicated, drunk

"Because I was squiffed after drinking an entire bottle of Jack Daniels last night, I have a mad katzenjammer this morning."


There are also a couple things I didn't know there were words for.


aglet (ey-glet) n.
the plastic tip on the end of a shoelace

gound (g-ow-nd) n.
the gunk that collects in the corners of the eyes during sleep

octothorpe (ah-kt-o-th-or-p) n.
the '#' symbol; also, "octothorp."



You can find more here.

No comments: