Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Alimento delicioso

Dear God, my mouf is on fire.

Best find ever? The Mexican grocery store, located smack-dab in the middle of my house and work.

The place is really called Carnicerias Guanajuato. I don't know what in the HELL that means, but they have some amazing food. Besides including a small pawn shop, fresh produce section and butcher shop, the place also has an area where you can order authentic Mexican food.

Well, the closest you can find in south central WI anyway.

The menu's displayed in Spanish, with the English equivalent, sometimes poorly translated. They have a ton of different meats including Asada (mmmm steak), Pollo (chicken), Carnitas (pork), Cabeza (beef head) and Tripa (intestines). I haven't had the Cabeza or Tripa yet. No cojones.


They have enormous burritos, nachos, quesadillas and tacos. I usually get tacos, which they make with a small corn tortilla, meat, onions and cilantro. No cheese. THAT'S IT.

They also have about half a dozen different fresh salsas, which burn the hell out of my mouth... but taste delicious.

I've never had Horchata either. It's called "rice water" in English, and tastes like sugary milk with cinnamon or nutmeg. Om nom.

The best part? The price. I spent $2.09 on a chicken taco and a beef taco, picking up the free chips and two kinds of salsa.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Carnicerias Guanajuato = Guanajuato Butchery.

I think carnitas is more like fried steak / beef than pork. I might be wrong.

Horchata is alright. It's a hit and miss with people really.

Speaking of foreign food. We still need to go to the Colombian restaurant here in Milwaukee. Remind the Gregor please.

Veasy said...

I had horchata at La Hacienda in Madison. It's pretty delicious from what I remember, but that was back in high school.

Cerca Trova said...

Horchata at Taquiera Guadalajara in Madison is quite delish, in my humble opinion. I recommend at least giving it a shot. It's probably pretty cheap, right?