Monday, September 29, 2008

Brass knuckles


My dad taught me how to crack my knuckles. Being the curious six year old kid I was, I wanted to show off... and be an adult -- so I followed suit.

To be honest, I don't know if I actually got a good snap or pop out of those fingers in adolescence.

But today, I've become so accustomed to bending and contorting my joints in different ways, that they naturally make cracking noises whenever I move.

I can bend my toes to create a burst of noise similar to popcorn kernels popping; if I extend my arms out straight, my elbows produce a resonating crack; if I shift my back, I'll get a few good internal, hollow crunches.

There's no evidence that cracking joints is detrimental to your health, but it can become a bothersome habit, if not ear-wrenching to others.

Since starting this health kick back at the beginning of September, I've already sustained from smoking, started going to cycling class three times a week, and stopped drinking coffee -- only five days, now. yikes -- in an effort to again attempt to wean myself off caffeine.

Now this is one thing I won't give up; even if it might cause long-term problems to my joints. Whether it be habit or a simple way to relieve stress, I can't stop. I love cracking my knuckles.

No comments: