Monday, September 22, 2008

No mo' promotion?


Sometimes, I'm not sure when it's appropriate to bring up my two cents. I'm a pretty laid back person, and I try not to get strung out about the small things.

Today, the latest issue of Professional Distributor showed up on my desk. Being one of two editors for the magazine, I paged through to check out what kind of blatant mistakes we might've missed as far as content, layout and overall visual aesthetics.

I turned to the Table of Contents on page 4, only to find for the third time since I've been on this publication that my job title was printed incorrectly.

I received a promotion from the entry level position of "Assistant" to "Associate" Editor last October (2007). Back in April, I then made a lateral move as an Associate Editor from one magazine to another.

But, right there in bold, capital letters it was printed: "Assistant Editor."

Here's a generic breakdown of editorial positions:

Editorial Intern
Assistant Editor
Associate Editor
Managing Editor
Editor
Editor-in-Chief

Now, I can understand the occasional verbal slip when a sales rep is talking to one of their clients; or maybe when someone writes a quick email -- but after already correcting the masthead for the previous issue... why in the HELL was it changed back.

When I was hired, as an Assistant Editor, I learned the in's and out's of magazine publication. I figured out how to set up interviews and research information for my readers. I learned what a dummy was, and how to do it (The monthly layout of articles and ads for each issue). I realized meetings are usually time-consuming and accomplish little. I found out the inner-workings and moral logistics of editorial content compared to selling advertisements. I know what sans serif means.

As an Associate Editor, I have more responsibility. I write more. I edit more. I ensure more information gets to our readers. I collaborate with, versus taking orders from, my editor more often.

I'd just like that to be acknowledged.

2 comments:

Gregor said...

Aren't you supposed to be the editor who catches that mistake before it goes to print? :p

Ric said...

Touché. I know Lou I know.

It was fixed in the last issue, so I didn't worry about it. Oops.