Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Guess who's back


You might've noticed; I haven't been around much the past couple weeks.

I got back yesterday from one of the best vacations I've ever been on. Probably not saying much, all things considered... but I've had my fair share of travels.

I went with Michelle, my fellow Geebz native and partner in crime, to the west coast. We started off in Los Angeles last Thursday night (8/21) and drove up the coast ending in Seattle.


A few highlights:


-- Tabs at L.A. bars are ridiculous. Michelle bought a round of four Jagerbombs and three beers for $58. Add on a $12 tip.

-- Everyone in California drinks Stella Artois.

-- Bears really do attack cars if you leave shit in them. E.g., In Yosemite, the rear passenger side door of the Mitsubishi Gallant two down from our rental was pulled from its frame with a shattered window, and the back driver's side seat was peeled back, tin can lid style.

-- SF has the most obscenely steep streets to walk on, with grades of up to 60 degrees. I swear.

-- I overcame my fear of sharks while surfing in Santa Cruz, and replaced it with a more realistic fear of drowning while being pummeled by waves.

-- Locals and other travelers asking for directions is the most sincere form of tourist flattery. Even if you can't help them.

-- Drive the Pacific Coast Highway. It's winding as hell, but the scenery more than makes up for it.

-- Jedediah Smith can go fuck himself.

-- Pacific Northwest cities (namely Portland and Seattle) have some of the most amazing architecture, with plenty of mirrored glass and windows.

-- Tacoma has the highest concentration per square mile of teriyaki restaurants. Examples include the simple, yet poignant "Teriyaki," "Teriyaki Time," "Teriyaki Restaurant" and my personal favorite "Burgers and Teriyaki."

-- I really could live in Seattle, if within walking distance of Pike's Place Market.


I realized when planning a big trip, people are more than willing to offer suggestions and recommendations for places to go. Every bit helps, even if you don't follow through with the suggestions, you're still aware of all your options.

Having friends along the way helps break up the monotony of being on the road solo, and the intimidation of big cities. And, we were fortunate enough to have the most gracious hosts in L.A., SF and Tacoma.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I will name my first son Jedediah. Jedediah Barragan.