Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Negotiator hater


I've owned my Toyota Camry going on two years now. I haven't run into trouble yet (knock on wood), but I credit preventative maintenance and knowing the limits of my vehicle to keep it in near-perfect running condition. After all, it's an investment.

I clean out garbage on a regular basis (unless I'm living out of the thing for an entire weekend). I replace filters and check fluids, including oil, making sure to get an oil change every 3-4,000 miles. That means rotating my tires every other.

So I didn't hesitate when my friend Tom let me know last February that I needed to replace my tires before the first snow fall of next year, because the tread had worn so much.

Now it's the middle of September. It's time to bite the bullet and drain my checkbook for the big investment.


I remember when I signed the contract for my car...

Two Octobers ago, I went back to Mark Toyota in Plover, WI after walking along the lines of used parked cars a couple nights before. My brother came along (for dude support), and I decided to test drive the black '03 Camry I had checked out.

I wanted it. Bad. It rode like a dream, compared to my shitty Ford Contour. It had a CD player, cruise control, power everything and came Toyota Certified for 100,000 miles. Plus, it was black.

I played the used car dealer game. He was a younger guy, maybe mid-twenties -- so there was a possibility one of us might take the other for a fool.

I sat down in the office, talked about price. The sticker sat at $18,900. No way could I afford something like that. He came back with 16 and change. I suggested something less than 15... it had over 70,000 miles. I had done my research -- the car was worth a little under $14,000 according to edmunds.com, with the mileage. He went back, said we could discuss.

I wanted to see the car again.

We checked out the gadgets, opened the trunk, turned on the stereo. I suggested $13,500. He went back in. The final price was set at $14,000. He invited us back inside for paperwork, but I declined. I told him I'd think about it.

Then he said, "If I have your word, will you take $13,500." Yep.

On the contract, I had to cross out my first name, then my last name, I spelled them wrong I was so nervous. I couldn't control the adrenaline pumping through my body, and couldn't hide the wide grin on my face. I just negotiated for, and bought, my first car.

Back to today...

I had looked up prices for tires online, and at the local Goodyear. It was about 30.00 cheaper per tire to go with the Internet price (before taxes and shipping), but I'd have to have someone mount and balance them. I called Goodyear, and said I was told $124.95 a tire, and $60 for the install. I could get them about $20 cheaper on the Internet, and would they match?

He thought about it, but said they couldn't go that low. I suggested $10 off per tire. He explained online purchases are more difficult to cover with warranties. Plus, Goodyear offers free tire rotations for the life of the tire. But -- he agreed to the new price.

I'm getting new tires Friday. And an oil change.

It takes some gall, and I get uncomfortable doing it, but negotiating is a great way to save money, and build some skillz. The worst they can say is "no."

All you have to do is ask.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice. I usually don't negotiate not sure, I guess I rather not bother. I will try next time I have a big purchase. Thanks for the inspiration.