Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Simple distractions


This morning at work, my editor Brendan, and I had a 15-minute talk leading to a discussion of how crreepy dolls and clowns are. And what I love more than anything, is being distracted from doing actual work. (I <3 FB and digg.com)

My boss Brendan's pretty good about continuing random conversations. We've talked about baseball or football, Rita Hayworth, Jackson Pollock and Picasso, movies, the meaning of names, Irish rowing teams, George Dickel Whisky and other useless, yet highly retainable, facts and random information.

Conversations might start with a simple question or statement, but they continue with tangents. I mean, not everyone continually talks about the weather, or sports.

For example, I asked my co-worker, Dionne, what she did last weekend. Then, she asked me. We ended up talking about her plans to get a hummingbird tattoo for her birthday from her husband.

Striking up random conversations with co-workers is also one of the best ways to get out of my cube and visit people. Makes the day go by faster.

1 comment:

Gregor said...

I wish I could automatically have a graphical display of conversations I've had emailed to me, so I could see how big of tangents we've gone off on.