Friday, September 12, 2008

I've been everywhere, man.


At work, we're on the cusp of trade show season. As one of the editor's for Professional Tools & Equipment News and Professional Distributor. I usually fill my time in the office writing about tools for mechanics (yeah, wrenches and ball pine hammers) and stories for mobile tool dealers (think Snap-on).

I don't work for a glamorous industry by any means, but I do get to check out different places all over the U.S., without spending a dime.

I love being able to travel to different places, learn the different cities and try out new restaurants. Of course, I have to work by going out with the sales staff when they take out clients, and I'm in charge of going to different company booths to pick up product information, which I'll eventually write about. It's not a vacation, but it gets me out of my cube.

October kicks off my time more frequently out of the office, where I'll be wined and dined at the company's expense. That also means I'll be dealing the most concentrated gathering of 35- to 50-year-old men in one central location.


Oct. 4-8, 2008 - ATPA Expo; San Diego, CA
Okay, this is a freebie, and it's not for my magazine. I'm doing the show daily for our company's Mass Transit publication.

Nov. 3-7, 2008 - AAPEX and SEMA; Las Vegas, NV
Biggest show for our industry, apparently. No other shows are booked in Vegas this week, and it takes up the entire LV Convention Center. It's a big deal.

Jan. 15-19, 2009 - Mac Tool Fair; San Antonio, TX

March 8-11, 2009 - Matco Show; Las Vegas, NV

March 13-15, 2009 - Cornwell; Anaheim, CA

1 comment:

Kim Schmidt said...

Wood industry trade shows might give these shows a run for their money in terms of the largest concentration of 35-50 year old men.