Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Carpe diem


I'm a big advocate of supporting local businesses, so when one not only meets but exceeds my expectations, I'm more than happy to shameless promote them: Cafe Carpe.

Lately, I've headed to Carpe once every couple weeks with my traditional Trivial Pursuit posse (my editor, Michelle, her editor and myself), to stretch our lunch hour and enjoy the casual atmosphere of a miniature style dining hall seating.
Because of my financial circumstances, I won't get a chance to go as often, cutting my visits to about once a month. No matter, I'll just learn to appreciate it a little bit more. (BAH, if that's possible.)

In the summer, they have an outdoor, screened-in porch to enjoy hours of Trivial Pursuit and microbrews on tap -- usually local. The porch overlooks the Rock River, and you feel just like you're up north at a cottage with a cool breeze coming in and droning traffic from the bridge a quarter mile away.

A room between the main dining area and the porch has mismatched chairs and what look like old movie theater rows of seats pointed toward a central area with mic stands; the restaurant doubles as a niche venue for folksy music acts and local talent. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to see a concert yet.

But what's more? They have the most delicious food. Homemade, locally-grown and full of flavor; every single thing on the menu is fantastic. Not to mention, they have specials on almost a daily basis. (Something like tacos or jambalaya with creole sauce, and some kind of soup or stew). If I don't get the special, I'll usually go for the grilled swiss cheese sammich with tomatoes, or the seared tuna salad. They also have an awesome Sunday brunch, with quiche, fresh fruit, bacon, etc.

And don't get me started on their molasses cookies.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't forget to mention their fine wine selection, hot cider, friendly family owned hospitality and the delicious home-made vinaigrette for salads.

Oh Carpe, my love.

Kim Schmidt said...

God bless Cafe Carpe!! I think my next Fort Atkinson weekend should be at Carpe with some trivial pursuit and beer. You can only do Fat Boyz so many times after all...and I think three is my limit.

Gregor said...

And how they let you borrow Trivial Pursuit for your roadtrip.