Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sleeping in


Last weekend, my brother Matthias volunteered to help Gregor and his roommates move into their new house.

Saturday rolled around, and I decided to wake my brudder from his precious crack of noon sleep by calling around 10:30 AM. No answer. Fine, I'll give him another hour to sleep in. He's known for erratic sleep patterns anyway -- Plus, we're still in Pewaukee.

I call back at noon, becoming a little disgruntled when I reach his voicemail for a second time. Half the daylight's already gone.

I make one more ditch attempt on my way to the new house, hoping I could swing by the UW campus to pick him up. Still nothing.

It took about three hours to unload everything, enjoying a cold one after our efforts. At this point, I start getting a little concerned. I try calling again, and send an email from my handy smartphone. No Matthias. It's 3:30 PM. What in God's name is he doing?

We take the U-Haul back, and I give my mom a quick ring. "Have you talked to Matthew? He said he'd help move today, but I haven't heard from him." No luck.

In all, I called five times, left three VMs and sent an email. It's now after 6 PM, and we're ordering pizza as a reward for smashed hands and sore arms.

What the hell is this kid doing?

At 9:46 PM, my phone rings.

"Hello?"
"Are all three of these messages from you? Can I delete them?"
"...Yeah. Where the hell have you been?"
"My phone died. I was sleeping. I tried fixing my sleep schedule."
"What time did you get up?"
"6:30."
"!!! ... What time did you go to bed?"
"9 AM."
"%#$@*! Umm... I don't think you fixed your sleep schedule. Anyway, call mom she's probably worried.

...Oh, and want to make tacos tomorrow?"

3 comments:

Veasy said...

Ah yes, the old "my phone died" excuse. I think I hear that one once a week, lol.

Epic Gecko said...

In my defense sleep is awesome.


...and my phone's battery was dead.
(but sleep is still awesome)

BLaZE said...

I was going to say, this post is contradictory to your blog's name. But I guess since you weren't the one sleeping in I'll let it slide...


This time.