Friday, January 16, 2009

Music week: Favorites

You’ve made it! As a reward for getting through all the lists, I’m giving you a Friday treat: I’ve supplied some “best of the best,” IMHO. What better way to end out the week than with the songs I like the most – all around. Here’s a fine collection of music I can listen to anytime, anywhere – cleaning the apartment, reading, writing, drawing, sitting at work. They suit any occasion.

Once you listen to the songs on this list (and the others lists, too), you’ll probably realize that I’m drawn to vocals. It’s not the lyrics – although those can be catchy and fun to sing in some instances – but the talented voice. I see singers as not only the a frontman for a band, but another instrument that completes the group.

Most of these are more contemporary – as opposed to the hodge podge from yesterday’s list. And after finding the videos, I realized they’re half the fun. Enjoy!



1. Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games - of Montreal
Of Montreal is fucking weird. I mean, look at this video. :D They add a bunch of different instruments, and sometimes can't maintain a consistent tempo throughout one song. But don't let that scare you with this one. Some of the other songs on The Sunlandic Twins take some getting used to, but this one's catchy from the get-go.

2. Milk - Kings of Leon
Now, bear with me. This is my favorite band, but there is no other song that showcases Caleb Followill’s vocals quite as much as this... because about 25 percent of the song has no other instrument, besides his voice. If you want to hear awesome guitars to accompany Caleb, try "McFearless" or, ooh, “Charmer” too, on KOLs Because of the Times.

3. Last Night - The Strokes
My favorite college band, I kind of played them out by listening to their albums incessantly. I picked a single, so you could all appreciate them. I can still tolerate this song and listen through the whole thing because I know all the lyrics, without hearing the song. Plus, good guitar solo in the middle.

4. I'll Believe In Anything - Wolf Parade
Like Clap Your Hands, Spencer Krug’s voice takes a little getting used to. But what can I say, I'm a sucker for vocalists (with good music to back them up).

5. Finally - The Frames
See the movie Once. That's all I have to say.

6. Maps - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
This is the first song I've ever heard Karen O. sing. It makes me think she's not all tooth and nail -- and her singing doesn't just come from being pissed off, it's because she's got some aching too. Plus, listen to that guitar. And those fucking drums.

7. Golden Slumbers - The Beatles
Only one song from the Beatles you say? I tried to limit them on the list. I could probably make a Top Five of just Beatles songs for every category this week -- but I'll spare you. The Fab Four's known for merging songs together, so if you're listening to Abbey Road, you'll start with this, but make sure to listen to the two following tracks “Carry That Weight” and “The End.”

8. My Mathematical Mind - Spoon
I fell in love with Spoon about five years ago, after buying their album Gimme Fiction. This appreciation was only reinforced by the fact that the movie Stranger than Fiction offers an (almost?) exclusive Spoon soundtrack. This was the first song I would go back to and repeat two or three times before I even listened to the entire album.

9. Exit Music (From a Film) - Radiohead
Radiohead makes my top five all-time favorite bands. I like them particularly when I'm trying to do something creative, like write or draw. I chose this song mainly because of the crescendo at the end, so you have to listen to the whole thing. If the movie Children of Men ended at the extended long shot scene when he's carrying out the baby, this song would be playing.

10. Mansford Roof - Vampire Weekend
Their instruments sound like they should be playing from the 50s, but they somehow incorporate a modern sound too. I don't know how to define this band -- but I'll relate them closest to "The Strokes." Entire album is worth a listen.



Runner’s Up: 3rd Planet – Modest Mouse; Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes – Paul Simon; Savior – Red Hot Chili Peppers; Get Myself Arrested – Gomez

2 comments:

Dr. Bergeron said...

the movie once was fantastic. I may have to watch it again.

most of the vocalists on your list i want to jam forks, spoons, and rolling pins into my ears when i hear though. sorry =(

Amanda said...

I love love LOVE the Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End trio.