Thursday, January 15, 2009

Music week: Songs to escape with

My extras. And, maybe some runner’s up from tomorrow’s favorites. Here’s an eclectic mix of music from all over. I’ve got some Cuban, some jazz, blues – even some country. Most of these songs remind me of something, or someone. Or they're just really amazing.

This mix itself could be listened to for most anything – I’d say the best would be a long drive, or extended road trip.


1. Let's Boogaloo - Willie Rosario
This reminds me of Dexter, mostly because it's got some Cuban drum beats and crisp horns. Ami ami a Miami. It also makes me really, really (REALLY) excited to go on vacation to Florida next month.

2. Equinox - John Coltrane
I like listening to him when I'm cooking, especially with wine. Love when the horn kicks in.

3. Kaya – Bob Marley
When I was younger and first moved to Green Bay with my mom, she bought this album. I was in fourth grade. We listened to it to and from school for at least three months straight (along with REO Speedwagon and Michael Bolton – but I won’t hold that against her.)

4. Seven Bridges Road - The Eagles
This song reminds me of my dad. He loved the Eagles, and he kicked ass at playing the guitar. The entire album Hell Freezes Over has got to be considered one of the top five live albums ever. Great harmonization and acoustic guitars in this song.

5. El Scorcho – Weezer
I might've put "Say It Ain't So," except for the simple fact that I've heard that song at least 455,755 times in my life. Don't get me wrong, it's a great song... but this one takes the cake. Off their best album, "Pinkerton" (less pop, more rock), this is a modern-day love song about a dude that just can't seem to tell the chick he likes, that he likes her. Aw.

6. The Lighthouse's Tale - Nickel Creek
Although I'm pretty impartial to country, and this family trio might be categorized as such -- I can still appreciate their folksy sound, harmonizing voices and crisp strings, including the ukulele they play in this song. Plus, based on MrB's response to country songs, this band's great at telling a story.

7. My My Hey Hey - Neil Young
I had to put something by Neil Young on this list, namely because any album of his defines autumn, especially Harvest. It has to be the melancholy vocals, and the flat notes he plays. Otherwise, try Live Rust too.

8. Walkin' After Midnight - Patsy Cline
Yeah, more country. But this is classic. Patsy Cline has an awesome, bluesy voice, with basic instrumentation to back her up. Nothing fancy.

9. Psycho Killer - Talking Heads
Start off with the bass, and bring in the drums. Strum the guitar and bring -- this guy? He sounds fucking crazy. Yeah, it's the name of the song. I try to sing along, and the chorus is catchy -- but it's the French that holds me up. No matter.

9.5. Fearless – Pink Floyd
(I cheated with the numbering system; what of it.)
Pretty mellow – but it fits Floyd’s standards. I’d say the hypnotic, repetitive guitar between the singing is really the chorus – if that makes sense. It’s not all dreary; there’s some subtle motivation in there too – if you listen to the lyrics.

10. Little Red Rooster – Howlin’ Wolf
Just listen to his voice. He’s straining to get it out of him. Howlin’ Wolf (a.k.a. Chester Arthur Burnett) also plays a mean (and I mean MEAN) guitar. Greats like Zeppelin, The Doors, Stevie Ray Vaughn, George Thorogood, Clutch and Soundgarden have all covered his music.


Runner’s up: Tangerine - Led Zeppelin; Sweet Jane – The Velvet Underground; Everybody Wants to Rule the World – Tears for Fears; She’s a Rainbow – Rolling Stones

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lighthouse Tale used ot make me cry, for about the first 50 times I heard it. Then I finally went numb to the song's tale. Stupid Lighthouse and it's stories.

Neil Young can make me escape anytime, anywhere. He's my fall back for when I can't figure out what I want to listen to. Him and Pink Floyd, which also made it on your list, which made me very pleased.

Dr. Bergeron said...

Clutch actually does an AMAZING cover of equinox.

I'll send it to you later, provided it backed up correctly off of my failing computer.