Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Music week: Songs to drive by

I can be an aggressive driver; which you might determine based on some of the selections in this list. But hear me out; the majority of these songs are based on a few criteria:
A. How excellent they sound when you roll the windows down.
B. Singability behind the wheel.
C. Loudness

And, yeah this too:
D. Aggressiveness if someone pisses me off.

At least I take it out by turning up my music, instead of getting out of my car and starting a fight.


1. Goin’ Up The Country - Canned Heat
Okay… Number one in the category. I’d say the flute really brings this one home. You need to listen to this song in late spring on a sunny day, with your windows rolled down and your arms out the window.

2. Red Morning Light - Kings of Leon
I FUCKING LOVE THIS BAND. I'm pretty sure this song was featured in a car commercial, but I don’t remember which one. One where the car flies around curves without discretion and throws up dust as it leaves you there. But if you listen to this when you're driving, you are that car.

3. The District Sleeps Alone Tonight - Postal Service
Add a little techno beat to some catchy lyrics and you've defined Postal Service. Deathcab's frontman displays his musical versatility with the entire album "Give Up." It's also pretty funny that UPS samples some of this band's songs, considering their name.

4. A Certain Romance - Arctic Monkeys
Another phenomenal Brit band, these guys are probably vulgar douchebags in real life, but they also kick ass. This is the first song I’ve ever heard from the band. I love singing it in a British accent – but it may take at least 10 times before you understand what in the hell he’s actually saying.

5. The Set Up (You Need This) - Reel Big Fish
I saw them my junior year of high school. Energy! Talent! So loud! It's my favorite song from "Why Do They Rock So Hard?" I like singing this song as loud as fucking possible, in hopes that the people around me won't necessarily think I'm weird, but absolutely crazy.

6. Waterfalls - TLC
Just for Michelle -- because nothing quite says driving 15 hours through California and Oregon like “Waterfalls,” with dancing and singing to boot. Especially when it's recorded via shitty camera video.

7. Thickfreakness - The Black Keys
A two-man band from Akron, this is the first song I'd ever heard from these guys. This album (same as the song title) is more raw (rawer?) than the ones that follow, and listening to the thing in its entirety helps when you're passing assholes on the road.

8. Excuse Me Mr. - No Doubt
Good for the highway. It's got a fast beat and catchy chorus. Plus, I like the 1850s-burlesque bridge with the piano and jazz horn.

9. Crosstown Traffic - Jimi Hendrix
Check the title. Plus, it's Hendrix. No question, there's great guitar -- but even though he still jams it's more controlled, and stays with the faster tempo. Great for cruising on a highway.

10. Longview - Green Day
From my favorite band in high school, you can't really do what this song's about while you're driving.

Runner’s Up: Let The Cool Goddess Rust Away - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah; Blinded By The Light – Manford Mann’s Earth Band; Drive My Car - The Beatles; Bad Habit - The Offspring

5 comments:

Shawn Connelly said...

Waterfalls..... amen

Gregor said...

#5 had me cube-loling. Whoever's idea it was to put RBF and the Muppets together deserves and award.

Epic Gecko said...

I think there's some OAR song that could fit nicely into that list.

Unknown said...

I can't believe Let the Cool Goddes Rust Away didn't make it on the list! I can't believe it.

Ric said...

I'm gonna be honest here. It was initially on the top 10, but I just couldn't find a video that would do it justice. All the youtube videos were live shows and poor quality. It needs to be crisp, clear and EFFING LOUD.

Go about 30 sec. in to this one -- and you'll get an idea.